While working on poetry this week with teachers, I compiled a list of STAAR stem questions from the 3rd Grade STAAR test. (It’s interesting that there are a lot of questions about “the speaker”.)
- The speaker in this poem is someone or something who —
- Which words help the reader imagine the speaker’s experience?
- The poet uses these lines mainly to show — (can be an example of the speakers feelings or actions)
- How does the speaker feel throughout the poem?
- What is the speaker doing in the poem?
- The poet titled this poem “____” most likely because —
- What is the main message (or theme) in the poem?
- Which word best describes the feeling that the poet creates in this poem?
- These lines best support the idea — (an idea or feeling presented in the poem)
- Lines _ through _ are included in the poem because they —
- Lines _ through _ are important to the poem because —
- This poem is an example of (narrative, humorous, lyrical, concrete, free verse) poetry mostly because it —
- Why does the poet use the exclamation points (or some other kind of punctuation) in the first stanza?
- Which of these lines from the poem rhyme?